If there is one area of our house that receives a lot of traffic, it is the bathroom. From parents to kids, the bathroom is somewhere we spend a lot of time and even more money!
The amount of products we fill our bathroom with is staggering; from haircare to skincare to makeup, it’s hard to imagine where we can begin to literally “clean up our act” financially.
But fear not, there are several simple, easy steps we can take to cut down on not only the cost of bathroom products, but also on environmental waste!
Here are my top 5 ways to save money in the bathroom:
1) Purchase multi-use products: despite the overwhelming amount of advertisements telling you otherwise, you likely do NOT need a separate body wash, shampoo, shaving cream, and face scrub. Did you know that you can use body wash as a shaving cream? There are many natural, organic products available that are safe and healthy to use on your face and skin, such as the tea tree oil soap and lotion bar pictured below. It works great for shaving, and it is mild, non-irritating, and anti-fungal/antiseptic. Did I mention it is only $2.29 and doesn’t come with any wasteful packaging! I have found that it lasts at least a couple months even with daily use!
2) Re-think your razor blades: did you know that your razor blade becomes dull because of moisture not usage? Mind-blowing, right? If you dry off your razor after each use, you can get more than SIX MONTHS out of that single razor blade! Yep, it’s that easy! Pair that up with extra savings like the Dollar Shave Club and you will be laughing your way to the bank.
3) Think outside the box: There are so many natural substitutions for bathroom products, such as using coconut oil to remove makeup, DIY sugar scrubs, oatmeal masks, the ideas are endless!
4) Give yourself a break from products: Be brave. I am going to actually suggest that you THINK about going “au natural” once in a while! Do you really need to straight-iron and hairspray the crap out of your hair every.single.day ? Do you really need to put a thick layer of concealer on to go to the grocery store? I am going to challenge you to re-think your idea of beauty to include that beauty that is just YOU.
5) As I always suggest in my posts, purchase your products through sites where you save money, or even better, make money! Use your Flipp app when you shop in-store to guarantee you get the best deal. Purchase online on websites such as Ebates!
How do you save money in the bathroom? I’d love to hear your ideas!
One cucumber at a time,